Trinidad and Tobago

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star activeStar activeStar activeStar activeStar active
 
 

 www.CariUSA.com

 WELCOME to CariUSA

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

Trinidad & Tobago - Chaguaramas - Macqueripe Bay

GUIDE TO TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO TOURIST INFORMATION 

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO TOURS AND GUIDES

All information provided here is experimental and may not be accurate.

Other Links and Information maps GIS and Geo Data for Trinidad and Tobago

CELL TOWERS AND THEIR LOCATIONS  FOR TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO.

 Trinidad and Tobago Cell Towers etc.

RADIATION DATA AND OTHER MEASUREMENTS WILL BE INCLUDED.

Time permitting we will update these pages for Agriculture, Tourism, Environment, Disaster/Emergencies and any other priority areas.

Street Map of Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.

 

View Larger Map

Satellite Maps of Trinidad

 

Satellite Maps of Tobago

SIGHTSEEING

Sightseeing in the twin island rainbow Republic of Trinidad and Tobago is a continuous journey of discovery and wonder.  For the visitor, there is much to pause and examine – scenic drives to natural reserves like Asa Wright Nature Centre, man made attractions – National Stadium, historical sites – Fort George major towns – Port of Spain and San Fernando, secluded villages -  Charlotteville, Tobago and other places of interest such as reefs, swamps and Lopinot Historical Complex.

BEACHES AND WATER FALLS

MARACAS BAY

A short drive from Port of Spain is Maracas Bay, one of the most popular beaches in Trinidad which the visitor descends into after a scenic drive on the North Coast Road.  This Road, which goes up to about 1,500 feet above sea level, is surrounded by a marvelous view of mountains, tropical forests and flowers.  The Bay has waves ideal for surfing and a long wide sandscape for sunbathing.

 Street Map of Maracas Beach/Bay, Trinidad and Tobago

 

Satellite Map of Maracas Beach/Bay, Trinidad and Tobago

MARACAS WATERFALL

 A drive through the cool Maracas Valley and then a walk up some rugged terrain will take the visitor to the beautiful Maracas Waterfall one mile up the mountain, at this point beautiful tropical birds and flowers can be viewed.  A cool refreshing dip in the water is recommended.

 MAYARO

Mayaro Bay is lines by about 14 miles of coconut palm fringed coast which provides a beautiful stretch of beach.  Along the shoreline to the Mayaro Village are a dozen separate settlements.  Many beach houses are available to the visitor for a long and relaxing day.  It is accessible from San Fernando by the Naparima – Mayaro Road, and from Port of Spain by the Churchill – Roosevelt Highway, through Sangre Grande and then by the Manzanilla – Mayaro Road where the Nariva Swamp can be explored and the visitor can experience the “pulling in” of seine by the fishermen.

MANZANILLA

 This popular bathing resort located in the East Coast of Trinidad is in the heart of a large coconut estate.  Here, there are facilities for picnics, changing, and showering.

VALENCIA/ SALIBIA

 This area is noted for it’s surfing waves and clear, cool river.  It encompasses Valencia Village which is one of the very old villages, dating back to the pre-slavery period.  The name “Valencia” is a corruption of the name “Valentia” – the person who at one period owned this area.

LAS CUEVAS

 Las Cuevas or the Bay of Caves is located on the North Coast, 8 Kilometers West of Maracas Bay and 23Kilometers from Port of Spain.  The beach and facilities are excellent, making the resort almost as popular as Maracas Bay.  Surfing is done at this beach.

CHAGVILLE

 This beach at Chaguaramas , located in Northwestern Trinidad, has bathing and changing facilities.  The view of Port of Spain is a panoramic one.  Chaguaramas is a starting point for many exciting yachting races.  The area was occupied by the US Navy during the World War II, today is the home of the Defence Force Headquarters.

p>STORE BAY

 This Tobago Beach lies at the doorstep of the Crown Reef Hotel and the Crown Point Hotel.  Every year store Bay is the site of the Great Race, which is one of Tobago’s most exciting events.  Guided tours of the Buccoo Reef and the Nylon Pool on glass buttom boats are available at Store Bay.

PIGEON POINT

 On the leeward side of Tobago is perhaps the island’s best land and sea encounter.  From here visitors take up the option of visiting the famous Buccoo Reef.  Pigeon Point provides changing facilities and rest rooms at a reasonable service fee.  Opening hour: from 8:00am – 6:00pm.  Admission: $10.00 TT adults, $ 5.00 TT children under 12yrs.  Telephone #: 639-8141

KING”S BAY WATERFALL

Twenty miles fro Scarborough along the Windward Road is Tobago’s most famous waterfall at King’s Bay.  Situated on the Rosenwald Estate at Delaford, the waterfall has a pool at its foot, which is deep enough for swimming.  For those who prefer a salt-water bath, there are excellent beaches nearby, but the waterfall pool is ideal for a second bath.

NATURE RESERVES

ASA WRIGHT NATURE CENTRE AND LODGE

This is a Conservation and Study are opened in 1967 and is the first Centre in the Caribbean to preserve plant and animal life.  It was named after an Icelandic young woman who came here as a bride and fell in love with this reserve.  It covers hundreds of acres of lush vegetation from deep green forests to cascading waterfalls.  There are scores of species of birds and insects including the only easily accessible colony of oil birds – the only night-flying, fruit-eating, echo-locating birds in the world.  Experienced tour guides, accommodation and meals are provided.

Opening Hours: Everyday from 9:00am to 5:00pm

Admission:        US $ 10.00 Adults(non residents), TT $20.00 (residents)

                         US $ 6.00 Children

Bookings:          Must be made 48 hours in advance

Telephone:       667-4655

VALENCIA WILDLIFE SANCTUARY

 This sanctuary which coincides with the Valencia Forest Reserve comprises 6,881 and is situated in the north east of Trinidad in the country of St. Andrews.  It was proclaimed a sanctuary on the June 1st 1934.  There are at least 50 species of birds in this area.  All are birds which are typical of lowland forest, such as doves, anti birds and manakins.  Other animals include deer, agouti, and tattoo and iguana.  This area is managed by the Forestry Division and special permits are given to scientists and researches for study of the flora, fauna and wildlife.

LITTLE TOBAGO

 This Island is known also as Bird Paradise Island and is situated about one mile off the northeast Coast of Tobago.  It has an interesting history of occupation and one of it’s owners, Sir William Ingram, was responsible for introducing the bird of Paradise to the Island.  This area is accessible by boat from Speyside and there is a custodian who guides visitors and protects both animals and fauna.

POINT-A PIERRE WILD FOWL TRUST

 This conservation area breeds endangered species of waterfowl and birds and re-introduces them into natural areas.  Out national bird the Scarlet Ibis and the White Ibis breed in captivity here.  A forest trail has been created near the lakes and there is an Environmental Learning Centre.  This Centre houses a library, a small museum containing unique Amerindian artifacts, audio-visual room and a souvenir shop.

Opening Hours:    Every day – 8:00am to 5:00pm

                             Birdwatchers: 7:00am to 6:00pm (call in advance)

Admission:  $8.00 Adults, $5.00 Children (12-16 yrs) $3 under 12yrs

Booking in advance:       658-4200 Ext. 2512

NARIVA SWAMP

 This can provide an all day trip to the East Coast of Trinidad via Valencia, Sangre Grande, Upper and Lower Manzanilla.  The Sanctuary is about 4 miles long by 1 ½ miles wide, compromising an area of approximately 3,840 acres, including Bush Bush Island and Bois Nuef Forest.  There are at least 59 species of mammals 171 species of birds, reptiles and fishes.  Among the birds are manakins, tangers and antibirds.

For Further information please contact:

Forestry Division POS - 622-7476

Sangre Grande – 668-3825

CARONI BIRD SANCTUARY

A famous site which provides an unforgettable experience at sunset when the birds come in to nest.  Thousands of Scarlet Ibis fill the sky and is just one of the 157 species to preserve the Scarlet Ibis, our national bird.  Boats are available for travel through the Caroni Swamp, the third largest swamp in Trinidad.  It is situated on the west coast of the island and is built around the distributaries of the island’s largest river, the Caroni.

 For conducted motor boat tours, contact:

 Winston Nanan:   4:00 – 6:30pm upon reservtions

Telephone #:         645-1305

Admission:           TT $60.00 adults ($US 10)

                             TT $30.00 children under 15yrs

                             Group rate for 8 persons and more (24hrs notice)

MAN-MADE ATTRACTIONS

THE EMPEROR VALLEY ZOO

 Located in the Botanical Gardens, it is said to be the most attractive in this part of the Caribbean.  It occupies eight acres of land and houses two hundred species of animals including fishes, primates, reptiles, birds and some amphibians.  About 2,000 specimens are located here.

Many of the enclosures are designed to match those of the animal’s natural habitat.  Various animals have given birth in captivity, some of the being the first ever births in captivity of their species.

 Opening Hours:    Everyday – 9:30am – 6:00pm

Admission:           TT $4.00 – $6.00 Adults

                             TT $3.00 children (Ticket sales end on Friday’s 5:30pm

Enquires:              Telephone #: 622-3530

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

 Some of the most imposing examples if European architecture in Trinidad and Tobago and indeed the Caribbean can be seen around the Queen’s Park Savannah.  Travelling northwards visitors can view the stately Queen’s Royal College, A German Renaissance design built in 1904.  Next is Hayes Court, “Mille Fleurs” or Prada’s House; ArchBishop House, home of the Roman Catholic Bishop; Whitehall and Stollmeyer’s Castle.  There are inspiring buildings, known as the Magnificent Seven, reflect the diverse historical heritage of the twin island.

CATHEDRALS

 Two cathedrals of noteworthy architectural design are those of the two major Christian religions in Trinidad and Tobago – the Roman Catholic and Anglican faiths. The Trinity Cathedral in Port of Spain is of fine Gothic design.  It was completed in 1818 and sonsecrated on May 25th, 1823, Trinity Sunday.  Also in the Gothic Design is the Cathedral of he Immaculate Conception, which took 16 years to build and was consecrated on February 22, 1951.  It was completed by the Catholic Church and is one of the best known landmarks in Port of Spain.  Mt St. Benedict Cathedral located in the Central Northern Range at the top of St. John’s Road, St. Augustine was built be the monks od the order of St. Benedict who came to Trinidad from Brazil in 1912.  Also located at the Mount as it is fondly called by locals is the Pax Guesthouse.

MOSQUE

The Mohammed Ali Jinnah Memorial Mosque located at Eastern Main Road, St. Joseph was built in 1948 in beautiful Islamic architectural design.  Services are conducted at the mosque five times daily every Friday 12:30pm to 1:30pm

HINDU TEMPLE

 St. James Hindu Temple is Trinidad’s largest temple.  It was designed by Jang Bahadoosingh and built in 1962 at Ethel Street, Service is held every Sunday morning.

NATIONAL MUSEUM

 The National Museum and Art Gallery can be found on Frederick Street, Port of Spain.  It tells of our rich cultural heritage with its Amerindian Artefacts, some of which can be seen in no other collection in Trinidad and Tobago.  The paintings of Jean Michel Cazabon whose work has made the Trinidad Pitch Lake famous, are also housed here.  Many species of preserved animal, handicraft and exhibits of petroleum products are displayed here year round.

Opening Hours:             10:00am – 6:00pm  Tuesdays to Saturdays

Telephone:                     623-5941

MAJOR TOWNS AND VILLAGES

 

PORT OF SPAIN

 The Capital city, provides a perfect blend of modernity and history.  One of its more imposing structures is the Eric Williams Financial Complex or the “Twin Towers”.  Port of Spain is the centre of much of the commercial and financial activity in Trinidad.  Many historic buildings such as cathedrals, the National Museum and Art Gallery, and theatres can be visited and photographed. 

Street Maps of Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

The National Stadium and the Jean Pierre Complex, two of the major entertainment centres in Trinidad, are located in West Port of Spain.

SAN FERNANDO

 San Fernando become the twin island’s second city on the 18th November 1988.  It was so named by the last Spanish Governor of Trinidad, Don Jose Maria Chacon, who declared it a town in 1792.  Before then it was a little seaside village named Naparima by the Amerindians.  It is a centre of economic activity and is known as the industrial capital.  City Hall, the San Fernando Hill, and the Naparima Bowl are among the most famous landmarks in the City of San Fernando.

 Street Maps of San Fernando,  Trinidad and Tobago

 ARIMA

 Arima is an historic town, the name of which means “Water”.  It is an old Amerindian settlement and to this day is the home of the “Caribs”.  This community has formed itself into a group consisting of about 300 Amerindian descendants who are guided by its President and Queen.  It is situated 16 miles from Port of Spain and is called “the gateway to the east”.  It was made a “Royal Borough in 1887” when it received it’s famous dial as a gift.  In 1886 it was a terminal of the first railway in Trinidad.  The Santa Rosa is celebrated annually in August and draws large numbers of visitors who go to experience the cultural life of the “Caribs”.

ST. JOSEPH

 The First capital of Trinidad, it was founded by Domingo de Vera in 1952.  It was the first Spanish settlement in Trinidad, which site was chosen when, by permission of the Arawaks, the Spaniards sailed up the Caroni River looking for a place to build a town.  The Eastern Main Road which passes through San Juan, Mount Hope, Mount Lambert, and Champs Fleur, leads to the town of St. Joseph which was called San Jose by the Spaniards.  There are several architectural delights which includes the Catholic Church built in 1952, it was the first church built in Trinidad.

TOCO

 This village lies on the extreme northeast corner of Trinidad about 29miles from Sangre Grande.  Other picturesque Villages such as Vega de Oropouche, Matura, Balandra, and Salibia, are located along those 29 miles.  The Name “Toco” is an Amerindian name since this was the site of an Amerindian Village.  A drive through Toco provides some of the most magnificent scenery found anywhere in Trinidad and many paths lead to bathing areas.

ERIN

 A little village on the south coast of Trinidad, it is also believed to have been named by the Amerindians.  It lies on the shores of a little bay between Punta Blanca and Erin Point.  Its main industry is fishing and it is said to be the area for the largest catch of fish couaght anywhere in the island.  Two of the best bathing beaches can be found there, Puerto Grande to its west, and Los Iros on the east.

SCARBOROUGH

The capital of Tobago, it is an historic town.  It was the sceneof a great number of clashes that took place between the various European nations seeking to annex the island.  It was named Lampsinburg after being settled by the Dutchmen, Adrian and Cornelius Lampsins in 1654.  When the British captured Tobago in 1762 they settled in a place they called Georgetown and named it the Capital.  They then began moving into Lampsinburg and changed its name to Scarborough.  In 1768 they moved their House of Assembly over to Scarborough, thus making it the Capital.  Scarborough is dominated by Fort King George, built by the British  between 1777 and 1779.  It is a centre of governmental, educational and commercial activities.  It offers bathing and sightseeing facilities and is the main gateway by sea with its modern deep water harbour.

 Street Maps of Scarborough - Tobago,  Trinidad and Tobago

CHARLOTTEVILLE

 This village lies on the north-eastern tip of Tobago before a half moon bay called Man-of-War Bay.  This Bay was first known as Jan de Moor Bay, and recalled the occasion in 1633 when the Burgo-master of Flushing in Holland landed and tried to settle on this Bay.  Charlotteville, deep down in the lowlands beneath the ridge, is one of the most important fishing villages of Tobago.

MORUGA

Hidden Treasures of Moruga

Moruga an area well known for the world famous Moruga Scorpion Pepper, is also a community rich in history. Not only is it supposedly the area where Christopher Columbus landed when he discovered Trinidad, it is also the location where the Merikens, six companies of African American soldiers who fought in the war of 1812 between Britain and the United States, settled with their families.

 

Click for More about Moruga....

With such an interesting history and various historic sites and attractions to match, Moruga is one of the communities with a lot of potential to become a major community tourism destination. 

The first stop in Moruga was the Moruga Museum. Developed by the young Moruga native,  Eric Lewis, nicknamed the Prince of Moruga, the Moruga Museum is a repository of artefacts, fossils, antique collections and important lessons in history, all stored in a 100 year old house, one of several properties owned by the Lewis family.

 A room on the upper floor of the museum  pays tribute to the Merikens and their contribution to the development of Moruga and even lists the names of all of the Meriken families, whose descendants can still be found in Moruga and other parts of Trinidad.

 A short walk away from the museum is Gran Chemin Beach where stands the St. Peter's Monument. St. Peter is thought to be the Patron Saint of Fisher Folk. According to one villager the original monument was erected facing the sea to look over and protect the fisher men while they were out at sea. The original monument was unfortunately knocked down and when the new monument was erected it was positioned incorrectly and now looks over the village.

 Also nearby is the Moruga Roman Catholic Church which was restored with the help of Mr. Lewis, and includes a Michelangleo-style painting in the ceiling of the church's bell tower. 

 The search for another point of interest, the La Ruffin Beach, named the best beach in the area by locals, led to the discovery of the La Ruffin Bridge, the last functioning suspension/"spring" bridge in Trinidad. The bridge was built by the British over a century ago to assist with the transportation of cocoa, the main crop of Moruga at the time. The bridge stands over the Moruga River/River of Hope which connects to the beach and is now used for recreational purposes by visitors as well as local families to access the beach.

 The last stop on the tour of Moruga was to Marac Beach. First occupied by native Amerindians, Marac expanded in the 19th century when trade between the southern coastal villages of Trinidad and Venezuela had peaked.

 With an abundance of rocks found throughout the village, including on the beach, it is believed by villagers that Marac means "more rocks". Regardless of the meaning the journey to Marac Beach was well worth it as the wide expanse of coastline created a scene that transports you to another place and time allowing you to escape, just for a moment, from the "real world".

 With lots of plans to develop the tourism sector into a sustainable industry it is the hope that little known villages such as Moruga will get their opportunity to flourish and expose their hidden beauty to the world.

The following articles also provide some additional information on Moruga and its history:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Rediscovering-Moruga-232283221.html

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/The_Merikens-144753025.html

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/featured-news/Mooring-of-boats-on-to-Moruga-bridge-weakening-supports-The-last--spring-bridge--in-Trinidad-258406561.html

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/La_Rufin__the_gem_of_Moruga-115205364.html 

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Marac__home_of_T_T_s_only_rock_museum-117499318.html

 

HISTORICAL SITES

FORT GEORGE

Fort George over looking Port of Spain is 350 meters about sea level.  It was built in 1804 during the term of the British Governor, Sir Thomas Hislop.  It provided protection for Port of Spain in the event invasion by receiving light and flag signals.- from various points.  This signal station was built about 1833 by Ashantee Prince Kofi Nti.  Only when the wireless system arrived did the station become obsolete.  For the visitor the fort provides one the imposing views to the capital city and its cannons which were never used add to its attractions.

 Opening hours – 10:00 am- 6:00pm

Telephone# - 622-4521 (National Park Department)

LOPINOT

This area made up of villages of Siree, La Pastora, and Lopinot, is about 16 Kilometres from Port of Spain and about 8 miles from Piarco International Airport.  In 1806 it was settled by the Compte de Lopinot Charles Joseph and his band of slaves after they fled the French Revolution and Slave Revolt in Santo Comingo.  He soon found a beautiful plain which he named “La Reconnaisance” and occupied some 478 acres of land.  His mansion stood there along with a jail house, slaves’ barrack houses, stables and cocoa houses.  The Count, his wife and his dog were all buried in two graves in the nearby cemetery close to the banks of Lopinot river which can be viewed today.  In the 1940’s when the Government decided to build the Caura Dam, the villagers from the old Spanish settlement of Caura found themselves being displaced and they went to the valley of Lopinot.

Lopinot, as it is now called, reflects the rich and diverse cultural heritage of th twin islands.  Its people are of mixed Spanish, Amerindian and Indian Origin.  It is one of the few places where Spanish is so commonly spoken together with French “patois”.  This village is the home of “parang” and this, together with its caves and famous legend, draw many visitors throughout the year.

 Opening hours – 6:00 am – 6:00 am

Telephone # -     622-4521 (National Park Department)

FORT KING GEORGE

This Fort boasts a spectacular view of Scarborough.  A scene of prolonged battle, it was built by the British in 1977, later occupied by the French who occupied it from 1781 until 1793 and called it Fort Castries.  It was later recaptured by the British and then the French and this continued for some time.  The picturesque buildings and ruins include the Officer’s Mess, the Lighthouse, and the Bell Tower.

Opening Hours – 7:00am – 3:00pm

Telephone # - 639-3421 Ext. 273

NATURAL WONDERS

GASPAREE CAVES

 These famous caves are located in the island of Gaspar Grande, off Chaguaramas on the northwest coast of Trinidad.  They are located some 500 meters away from the jetty which services the resort island.  Further uphill of the caves are two cannons from the Second World War.  Tour Guides, restrooms and picnic facilities are available.  Of interest historically is the naming of the caves after Don Gaspar who was granted the island by Chacon under the terms of the Cedula of Population.

 Opening hours – 9:00am – 2:30pm

Admission – TT $ 55.00 adults, children under 12 $50

Group rates are available for 8 or more persons

(Boats – 632-8161/6228974)

TRINIDAD PITCH LAKE

The Pitch Lake, made famous by Walter Raleigh in 1595, is located at La-Brea the Spanish word for “pitch”. Millions of years ago it was a hugh mud volcano into which asphalt oil flowed.  The mixture of oil and mud accompanied by certain processes left the deposit asphalt which has been used for paving roads locally and internationally.  The Pitch Lake has yielded many artifacts which speak of our Amerindian heritage.  Some of these are housed and displayed at the Lake Asphalt of Trinidad and Tobago Limited, others at the Pointe-a Pierre Wild Fowl Trust and still others of the National Museum. 

 Opening hours – 10:00am – 6:00pm

Admission fees – TT $12 children under 12, TT $30 13 plus

BUCCOO REEF

Buccoo Reef situated in Buccoo Bay has been described as one of the most glorious sites in the Caribbean.  Millions of coral creatures from a magnificent, colourful bed which can be viewed by visitors as they travel out to sea in a glass-bottomed boat.  These boats are available at Pigeon Point and they facilitate a view of the reef inhabited by many species of tropical fish.  The Nylon Pool forms a part of this delightful experience.  It is an area of perfectly calm sea which allows the bather to enjoy a dip of water at waist height.

Operating hours from 11:00am

Admission fees TT $ 35.00 adults TT $17.50 6-12 years

Telephone: 639-8582/ 8519

 EMPEROR VALLEY ZOO

The Zoological Society of Trinidad & Tobago Inc. was founded on April 23, 1947 and by Ordinance No.12 of 1952 dated April 12, 1952, the society was constituted a corporate body. On November 8, 1952 the Emperor Valley Zoo opened its gates to the public. At that time the zoo consisted of 2.5 hectares of land, 10 cages, 127 animals, one gate house and a kiosk. Since then the Emperor Valley Zoo has expanded and now possesses 221 species of animals and 2383 specimens. From its inception to present this zoo has been upgrading its facilities and can safely boast of having some of the most modern facilities in the Caribbean. The Emperor Valley Zoo can also boast of being the premier zoo in the region in terms of infrastructure and human resource. It is also the only institution locally to have successfully bred a large number of local animals, such as mattes, ocelots, blue and gold macaws, orange-winged parrots, cocricos, red brocket deer, peccaries and iguanas."

CARONI BIRD SANCTUARY

 The Scarlet Ibis is one of Trinidad and Tobago's national birds. The bird is protected by law and the Caroni Bird Sanctuary, located in the Caroni Swamp, on the North-West of Trinidad, is its home. The large wetland area was proclaimed a wildlife sanctuary to provide refuge for the Scarlet Ibis and other birds in 1953. Boat tours leave late in the afternoon, meandering through the swamps and enabling visitors to catch a most spectacular view of the Scarlet Ibis flocks as they make their way home at day's end.

PITCH LAKE

FORT KING GEORGE

On Mt. St. George, a few miles east of Scarborough, Tobago's best-preserved historic monument clings to a cliff high above the ocean. Ft. King George was built in the 1770s and operated until 1854. It's hard to imagine that this lovely, tranquil spot commanding sweeping views of the bay and landscaped with lush tropical foliage was ever the site of any military action, but the prison, officer's mess, and several stabilized cannons attest otherwise. Just to the left of the tall wooden figures dancing a traditional Tobagonian jig is the former barrack guardhouse, now home to the small Tobago Museum. Exhibits include a variety of weapons along with pre-Columbian artifacts found in the area; the fertility figures are especially interesting. Upstairs are maps and photographs of Tobago past. The Fine Arts Centre at the foot of the fort complex features the work of local artists. 

BUCCOO REEF

Buccoo Reef is a largest coral reef in Tobago and was designated as a marine park in 1973. Its' massive proportions contain a reef system of five reef flats that are separated by deep channels. An associated lagoon, the Bon Accord Lagoon, is almost completely enclosed by Sheerbird's Point and a dense mangrove belt. 

PRESIDENT’S HOUSE

The President's House is one of the most gracious pieces of architecture to be found in the city of Port of Spain. Set back amidst the lush green foliage and colourful tropical plants of the Botanic Gardens, its elongated facade is a tasteful mix of neo-Renaissance archways and fine Victorian detail.

 

Click for More about President's House....

Built in 1876, the house stands on land that was once a part of the Peschier family's Paradise Estate. In 1818, Governor Sir Ralph Woodford purchased part of the estate to create the Savannah; a portion was also earmarked for the Botanic Gardens and the Governor's House.

The Great House on the estate was remodelled in 1819 and by 1820 the new house was built. This building was situated a little in front of the present site of what is now the President's House and continued in use until 1867 when it was destroyed by fire, but re-erection was delayed by the Governor of the day.

During this period, 1867-1876, a building known as "The Cottage" was used as the Governor's Residence. This was formally the house of the estate manager. In July 1876, the foundation stone was laid for a new government house at St. Ann's on the present site. It continued to be the residence of the Governor of Trinidad and Tobago until 30th April 1958, when it became the residence of the Governor-General of the Federated West Indies, Lord Hailes.

The Federation came to an end on the 31st May 1962 when the building was vacated by the Governor-General who returned to England. Trinidad and Tobago attained Independence on 31st August 1962. On 4th September, the building was declared open as a Museum and Art Gallery by H.R.H. The Princess Royal.

On the 13th July 1960 Sir Solomon Hochoy was appointed the first local Governor of Trinidad and Tobago. In December 1965, Sir Solomon Hochoy moved back into the old stone mansion, which had been once more reconverted into the official residence.

On his retirement in 1973 Sir Solomon Hochoy was succeeded by Sir Ellis Clarke as Governor-General. On the 1st August 1976, when Trinidad and Tobago became a Republic, (the occasion is observed on 24th September), the Governor-General's House (subsequently designated "The President's House") became the residence of the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago with President Ellis Clarke as the first President. He was followed in 1987 by His Excellency President Noor Hassanali who was inaugurated as President of the Republic on 19th March, 1987. He was re-elected in 1992 and he and Mrs. Hassanali continue to occupy The President's House. On 19th March 1997 ANR Robinson was inaugurated and is due to move into office on 19th March 1997.

Built on a super structure of iron and steel, the elegant stonework of the facade is local blue limestone from the Picadilly and Laventille quarries. The roofing is of Welsh Dutchess slates. The arched doorways and loggias are Italian in style, while the cast iron columns and filigreed railings offer examples of the finest Victoriana.

Inside, the house is spacious and dignified, with its red-carpeted Grand Staircase, the famous Long Room and Dining Hall, and the Great Hall or Sitting Room which is used for ceremonial occasions and which can seat over 200 persons. In addition to being the President's private residence, the House is used for swearing-in ceremonies, national awards ceremonies and diplomatic receptions. The President's Office is housed in a separate building on the grounds; the President's personal and Public Service staff have their offices there.

 

MT. IRVINE GOLF COURSE

 The Mount Irvine Bay Golf Course is an award-winning, championship quality 18-hole course with spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea, carved out from the grounds of an old coconut plantation.

The late Commander John D. Harris, who designed more than 30 golf courses, designed the course and this course is considered to be one of his finest. It is regarded as one of the premier golf courses in the Caribbean. There are sea views from every hole of the Caribbean Sea. The sharp, dog-legged, hole 9 is played from an elevated tee, showing all the hazards. The 5 par-3 holes are very challenging; only two are less than 200 yards. The course has a subterranean irrigation network.

Established in 1968, the course is set within gently rolling countryside along the north coast of Tobago, with a view of the sea from every hole and an abundance of massive coconut palm trees.

DEVIL’S WOODYARD

LOPINOT COMPLEX

The area known as the Compte de Lopinot Historical Complex or Count Lopinot's House (the area is now known as Lopinot rather than Lopinot) is located at the top of the Lopinot Valley in East Trinidad. The area, famous for its Spanish roots, was so named for Charles Joseph, Compte de Lopinot, a general of the French army during the revolution. Lopinot would later become a colonel in the Trinidad Military. He settled here in 1800 with his family and 100 African slaves. Today, the Lopinot mansion, located in the centre of what was once the Count's sprawling estate, has been transformed into a museum.

CARONI BIRD SANCTUARY

Caroni Bird Sanctuary is the roosting site for thousands of scarlet ibis, the national bird of Trinidad and Tobago. At sunset the birds fly to roost in the swamp's mangroves, giving the trees the appearance of being abloom with brilliant scarlet blossoms. You can also expect to see lots of herons and egrets, predominant among the swamp's 150 bird species

!!STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES ON ALL PRODUCTS , MODELS AND PRICES!!  

 CARS

HYBRID VEHICLES
!!TT$69,000!!! 2014 Toyota Aqua
!!SPECIAL!!NO DEPOSIT!! No U$$ required!! Conditions apply.

Nissan

AD Van

Make Nissan Nissan Nissan
Ad Num 1 2 3
Stock Num 1 2 3
Model AD Van AD Van AD Van
Year 2009 2009 2009
Colour White White Silver
Type VE VE VE
Code VY12 VY12 VZNY12
CCs 1200 1500 1600
Transmission AT AT FAT
Equipment AC AC AC
KmUpper* 75,000 75,000 75,000
Km* pending pending pending
Grade 4 4 4
Price TT$ 54,000 56,000 58,000
Notice SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL

   

HOMES

MODEL HOMES AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE CONSTRUCTION.

House Description
Las Lomas 2 bedroom flat
Nurse 2 bedroom upstairs
Waterloo 3 bedroom flat with 1 bath
Waterloo modified 3 bedroom flat with 2 baths
Bon Air 3 bedroom upstairs and downstairs with study
Malabar 3 bedroom upstairs with downstairs just enclosed
Cocoyea 3 bedroom upstairs
Diego Martin (Cocoyea modified) 3 bedroom 2 bathroom upstairs with study
National 2- 2 storey-modified 3 bedroom 2 bathroom upstairs (NHA)
National 2 flat modified 3 bedroom 2 bathroom Flat House - (NHA)
Standard 3 bedroom upstairs 3 bedroom 1 bathroom upstairs (NHA)
Standard 3 bedroom 3 bedroom one bathroom flat house (NHA)
Standard 2 bedroom 2 bedroom flat (NHA)
Split level 3br, 2 toilet, 2 storey

 

Islands and countries of interest.
Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas,  Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Saint Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, British Virgin Islands, US Virgin Islands, Venezuela 

(Suppliers for ALL outside USA)

(Wholesale & Retail)

RETAIL STORES

(Kids Items, Toys and More)

Engineering and Construction Company

(Design, Engineering and Construction)